Everyday Mom's Meals: Crock Pot Comfort
_____

Friday, June 21, 2013

Crock Pot Comfort

To me, comfort food can come in many forms. It might be a sweet dessert that takes away stress after a long day. Or maybe it's something filled with ooey gooey cheese that just tastes so amazing you don't even care it's not the healthiest meal. Or maybe it's simply something your mama used to make that takes you back to your childhood and fills you with love. For me, it means all of these things, plus one more. Sometimes comfort food is simply a meal that is super easy to make and doesn't keep me in the kitchen all day. It's comforting for me to know that in a meal like this, I'm receiving the gift of time! Time to do all my other work, or spend time with my family, or heck...on the rare occasion, to sit down and enjoy some down time! 

I've been looking for a great slow cooker pot roast recipe for quite some time now, and I wasn't surprised when I finally found one that sounded too good to pass up over at my dear friend Brandie's site, The Country Cook. Ya'll know how much I love Brandie and all her yummy food! She's always got something delicious cooking in her kitchen; so I knew without a doubt this would be no exception.

It's summer, and for many that means "Please don't make me turn on the oven." But many of us still want those comfort family meals we love so much. So this is a perfect compromise. Let the slow cooker do all the work, and keep the house nice and cool!

Slow Cooker Pot Roast From The Country Cook
3 lb. beef chuck roast
1 lb. baby carrots
1 lb. red potatoes, quartered
1 package Italian Dressing Mix
1 package Ranch Dressing Mix
1 package Brown Gravy Mix
1 TBS dried chopped onions
2 c. water
2 TBS vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Parsley for garnish

Pat roast with paper towels to dry. Rub both sides with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat skillet on medium high heat. Brown roast for 2 minutes on each side. Place roast in slow cooker. Mix water with all 3 seasoning packets. Whisk together. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on LOW 6-7 hours. During the last 3 hours of cooking, add potatoes and carrots, that have also been seasoned with salt and pepper. Slice roast and spoon pan drippings over top for sauce and garnish with parsley.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good. But it is too hot to eat. I will store this away for the first cool Fall day and come home to a delicious smell at the end of the day.

Thanks for sharing.

Wishes for tasty dishes,
Linda@Tumbleweed Contessa

LinB said...

Can I use a top round roast??' That's what is on sale this week.

Krista said...

Hi Linda,

Sure! I think that would work great! Love a bargain too!