Everyday Mom's Meals: Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Tricia}
_____

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Tricia}

Good Morning! Today's guest is an extra special one. Some of you may remember her from her blogging days; and I'm glad she has chosen to make her return to ~EMM today! It's also a special day for another reason, but I'm going to let Trish tell you all about it!


A BIG thank you to Krista for letting me be a part of her weekend company today. Today is a special day- not only do I get to be featured on my cousins fabulous blog,  it would have been our grandparents' 68th wedding anniversary!!
When I go to our Grammy's house one of my favorite things to do is go through the old family photo album. My second favorite thing to do is browse through her recipe box. There are just as many stories in that recipe box as there is in that old photo album! She has recipes from our Great Grandparents, family members, friends from high school, and life-long friends of hers.
I love this story. I love them. I miss him everyday.
The story behind today's recipe is an example of those wonderful stories. I came across this recipe for a spice cake and was curious because it had tomato soup in it. When I asked our Grammy about it, she smiled and said that, THAT exact recipe was her wedding cake! Her and our grandfather got married March 10, 1944 during WWII . He was a cook on the USS Russell and was on leave in Seattle, Washsington. She traveled several days by train to meet him in Seattle to get married. They stayed at a quaint little bed and breakfast and the owner made them a wedding cake. THIS was the recipe she used! Our Grammy had this recipe in her recipe box for 62 years  before I knew the story behind it!

The cake has a wonderful spice flavor and the cream cheese frosting was perfect for it. The cake is however, somewhat dense. You could not taste the tomato soup at all! It gave it a beautiful color and depth of flavor. Is this a cake that I would make regularly? Probably not. Would it be a cake I made once a year to remember our grandparents, the story of their courtship, their love and their marriage....Absolutely!


Grammy & Popeye's Wedding Cake ( AKA Spice Cake)
1/2 C shortening (butter or margarine)
1 C sugar
1 can condensed tomato soup
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 C flour
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 C chopped dates or raisins
1 C chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x9 baking pan. Cream shortening and sugar. Add baking soda to tomato soup then add shortening. In a seperate bowl combine baking powder, flour nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Add to tomato soup mixutre and mix well Fold in dates/raisins and nuts. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake tests clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 C powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add powder sugar and vanilla, mix well. Spread evenly on cooled cake.



Thank you Tricia for sharing this wonderful recipe and special story w/ me and ~EMM. I never knew about this cake or the history behind it. Love you!!!


Pin It

1 comment:

cupsbykim said...

That looks and sounds amazing! And what an awesome story behind it. What a great way to remember them! Thanks for sharing!