Everyday Mom's Meals: Time For A Refill
_____

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Time For A Refill

The other day when I went to the freezer I felt like Old Mother Hubbard. Well, okay, it wasn't quite that bare, but on the side where the pork is kept, it was empty w/ a capital E. We have plenty of freezer beef left, but for some reason the pig has flown the coop...or pen in this case. I don't know if you keep freezer meat in your house, but I have found it saves our family 100s of dollars per year if we stock up. Now, we are fortunate that my in laws still raise cattle and then have them butchered so all of us can share in the cost, but even on the occasions that hasn't been the case, we still get a quarter or side of beef from our local butcher. Plus chicken, pork and other staples too. If you haven't invested in this concept, take a look at your budget, your meal patterns and explore it as an option! Anyway, I digress. So there is no pork in our freezer. No biggie I will just buy some chops at the grocery store (which I'm willing to do in a pinch); and they were on sale, score! You would think this would have been simple. Well, here were my choices: Four pork chops to a package, or 16. No in between. So I'm standing at the meat case looking at my meal plan thinking "Wait, didn't I just download a recipe that called for only 2-4 chops?" In the words of Alex (via Phineas and Ferb), "Yes, yes I did". And then I remembered Alex was going to be having a sleepover at Mimi's house, so 4 would be the perfect amount for just the 2 of us. I came home, found the recipe, discovered it was easy as 1-2-3 and was content in knowing it would be okay :) This is a great weeknight meal to "throw" together at the last minute, and probably right from your pantry. And now after having fixed it, I know even w/ Alex it would be enough! With everything that goes into, and a veggie on the side, it's just the right amount to be satisfied. But still, it's time for a pork refill to the Marshall freezer.....are you reading this honey?

Baked Pork Chops w/ Apples From  Wanna Be A Country Cleaver
4 boneless sirloin pork chops
1 16 oz. apple pie filling
1 box Stove Top Stuffing Mix - If you can find pork flavored, if not, turkey- cooked according to directions
Salt and pepper
Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 9x13 pan w/ cooking spray. Place pork chops in and season both sides w/ salt and pepper. Pour apple pie filling over pork chops. Fluff stuffing w/ fork and pat over chops and pie filling. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm w/ a vegetable on the side.


Shared on Around My Family Table Aug. 18, 2011
Shared on Prairie Story Aug. 18, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper Aug. 18, 2011
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Aug. 18, 2011
Shared on Coupon Cookin' Aug. 19, 2011
Shared on Jam Hands Aug. 21, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Aug. 22, 2011
Shared on Home Savvy A to Z Aug. 22, 2011
Pin It

7 comments:

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook said...

This is my kind of recipe. My family will love this. I make something similar with chicken breasts, orange juice and stuffing mix, so I kind of have an idea of how this will taste. Thanks for posting.

I notice you have a "pin it" link at the bottom of your post. Do you have a profile on Pinterest? I just joined but very few of my friends are on it, so it's kind of boring only seeing my own pins.

Pamela said...

I have pork chops thawing in my fridge. I'll have to check for the other ingred. It looks easy to make for something that would make a big "splash."

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Freezer and quarter cow is on my wish list...

And love any variation on W C Fields - Pork Chops and Apple Sauce!

Martina J said...

Very interesting, I just created a page on how to cook pork chops - the way my mom taught me. Reading your recipe, I am getting verrrry hungry. I like the idea of the apples!

www.whatocook.com/how_to_cook_baked_pork_chops.html

PORK CHOP RECIPES said...

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

nice blog

nelson peltz said...

Great Recipes. thanks

pershing square

Kokoda said...

awesome post........
This blog is ever amazing. Thanks

Adventure