Everyday Mom's Meals: Saturday Special
_____

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Saturday Special

Usually your Everyday Saturday is reserved for the menu plan for the upcoming week. But today I've decided to give you a little special treat, only b/c this is what my family was doing a little bit ago, and I wanted to share it w/ your family. (And don't get too excited, it's nothing earth shattering!!) Just b/c we can't all be in my backyard, doesn't mean we can't "cyber" share those little tidbits of family time :) I don't know about you, but when I was little and my Grandma would make hummingbird food it was red, sweet and resembled Cherry Kool Aid. So much so  that when she would keep extra in a pitcher in her fridge, every summer when we visited I would confuse it for just that, pour myself a big glass of it and then spit it out at the first sip!!! So when Alex decided he wanted Adam to hang a feeder in our backyard (just one of many different kinds we provide for our feathered friends) I decided to look and see what was the best dinner selection for the "birdies" (as Alex calls them). Well, to find out, food coloring really shouldn't be added to their sweet treat and it's better if you keep it simple: no color, no brown sugar, no corn syrup. So here is my recipe I use all summer to make sure Alex's pointy-beaked pals have plenty to eat and always come back to the "Marshall Inn" for refills.

Hummingbird Food

4 c. water
1 c. white granulated sugar
*This recipe is always 4:1. You can easily decrease or increase it*

Bring water to a boil. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Boil for 2 minutes to evaporate any chlorine or impurities in the water. Let cool. Add to feeder. Enjoy the show!







Pin It

1 comment:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

such fun for the family... good podt